CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Superpowers

If anyone has superpowers, it's my Grandma. She passed this afternoon, but man... she was a fighter.

Grandma passed away in her sleep, peaceful. She hadn't really ever woken up for since the weekend.

While it is sad, it was not unexpected. It is also a happy time, however. Each of my siblings are flying in - one of which I haven't seen for more than three years. I think Grandma would be happy to know that we will all be together to celebrate her life.


Grandma's superpower? Staying alive against all the odds. :)

I think she had at least ten heart attacks in her life, had diabetes, congenetive heart disease, still smoked like a chimney, and was once an alcoholic. We had said "goodbye" to her at least two other times, expecting her to pass away. But, her superpowers kicked in and she surprised us by bouncing back time and time again. :)

I have to wonder if her ability to bounce back was to due to some deep down, innate nature to fight. I imagine that she had to have a fighting spirit to be able to get through her childhood and to get through all of the other stuff she went through. Maybe that innate piece of her spirit was what kept her alive despite the odds.

We really didn't think she would make it past the weekend, but she did. On Monday, they said her heart beat was at 155-160 and she wouldn't be able to sustain that very long, but she did for longer than anyone expected. Yesterday, she started getting jaundice. We didn't really expect her to make it through the day, but she did. This morning, the hospice called my parents at 4:30am and said that she was going and that if they wanted to see her once more, they needed to go right then, but even then they didn't think my parents would make it in time. But, oh no. They didn't realize Disneyland Grandma (as we all called her) had superpowers. She didn't pass away until late this afternoon.

If you're going to have superpowers, what a great one to have. :)

5 comments:

Jeff and aimie said...

I am sorry about your grandma!!! It is good to know what we know that these times in our life. Oh i put a picture on my blog for you to see!!

Olivia Heilmann said...

Agreed...
My Grandma has that superpower too. She is turning 93 this year. I think her power comes from not believing in the after life. She is afraid of no longer existing and missing out on watching us all grow up more.
I think Grandma's are super!

Chelsea said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma, but I bet she would like to hear that you are all getting together and taking the chance to have some joy. That's what I want when I go; no boobing around, I want a party!

Jenn said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. It sounds like she was made of some pretty tough stuff, though. :)

Angel Brockbank said...

Good blog Andi, I full-heartedly agree. Go check my blog, my goodness, you haven't updated yours in forever, and you haven't commented on mine in forever. Geesh!