CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 27, 2007

Adventure Anyone?

Since my trip to Hawaii, I have devoured around 20 novels (potentially more) by the same author. Odd? Maybe. Excessive? Very.
Satisfying? Extremely. This recent obsession of mine has had some drawbacks, of which I was well aware (i.e. a handful of times I stayed up until 3 or 4am to finish a book I started that night, knowing full well the kids would be up by 7am). However, that is the price that I paid.

I think a large part of this recent excursion into the unreal world is due to the depression I have been dealing with. However, I have learned something quite important:

I love adventure and romance. I am sucker for romance novels of almost every kind. However, my favorites over the years are the ones that have the best adventure... Kidnapping, running from an arranged marriage only to find a) you really do like the guy after all or b) someone better that helps rescue you from the really horrible fiance, road trips (whether done in the wild west, on the open seas, or through Europe or America.

It's funny that these appeal to me so much because if you think about those things happening today, they would not be so exciting. For example, if I were to be kidnapped, I don't think I would look at it quite like I do at a kidnapping in a book. I think this largely due to time period. The kidnappings I enjoyed in the books I have read have all taken place a couple of centuries ago (i.e. 1700s and 1800s). There is a sort of romantic notion about being kidnapped back then and having someone come after you or being kidnapped by someone who is in love with you but has been forbidden to be with you and this was the only way it could be accomplished.

Regardless, the point of this is that my next novel is going to embrace Adventure in all of its glory. I am itching to write when I haven't had that itch for some time. The fire has ignited. :)

1 comment:

Annette Lyon said...

YES! I love finding an author who sweeps me away. And I'm THRILLED to hear that the creative muse has come back!