CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 25, 2009

In the eye of the beholder

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Don't know who said it (and am too tired to google it) but it is true. Just like reality is in the eye of the beholder. My reality is not your reality. It's all based on perception.

So, as the beholder (for the purpose of this blog), what is beauty to me?

Beauty is confidence, optimism, taking care of your body and your spirit. Beauty is not in a size. In fact, I think we would agree that we have seen examples were a size 0 (or less) is not beautiful.

I think beauty is also in acceptance. I can accept my body for what it is and take good care of it. I feel beautiful when I take the extra time to put a little bit of makeup on and look nice. I may not be able to be a size 6 again, but putting on makeup and dressing nicely is something that I can do and feel good about.

I know this is a work in progress. This week was more challenging in this regard in some respects. But, I tried to keep positive and remember to focus on eating for health rather than eating for size.

I am also trying to encourage my family to be healthier. We are teaching the kids how to ride bikes this summer and Jason and I are buying bikes (it's been 13 years since I owned one!). I have also been more insistent that my son eat healthy foods. He doesn't like ANY fruits or vegetables except applesauce and bananas. Thus far, I have been somewhat lenient on him not eating those so long as he is eating some other healthy things (his favorite is string cheese). I am determined to change this though. I would be interested in any thoughts, comments, or advice that you have in this regard.

If (and for some it is just a matter of when) you find yourself in this same place I am in, struggling with weight or size, remember that half the battle is in your perception and focusing on being healthy rather than a particular size or weight.

:)

2 comments:

Jeff and aimie said...

Thanks Andi, when the after baby weight doesnt come off fast enough, or come off at all i need to remember this thoughts!! I love ya!!! Aim

Beverly Jensen said...

Justis eats catsup. That's practically a tomatoe...especially in the quantities he eats it in.