CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 10, 2009

Balance

I recently finished 7 Habits for Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey. It is probably one of my all-time favorite books. There are so many things in there that can make such an impact on my life. In some ways, it's hard to know where to start. :)

In any case, one thing that it has helped me to do is really center myself on my guiding principles. I am working on my personal mission statement which, ironically, I have centered around Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness (no, not my blog, silly - the unalienable rights identified in the Declaration of Independence).

Part of this process for me is finding balance in my life. Through this exploration, I have come to realize that I need to truly identify what Balance means to me.

I used to think that Balance meant stopping work when the kids got home so I could really focus on them. What I have come to realize is that my definition is skewed. You may say, "Duh, I could have told you that" and yes, writing it down like that I realize it's pretty obvious, but it didn't feel that way. :)

I am working on re-defining what balance means to me. So far, I think the biggest thing that it means is not focusing so narrowly on one thing that everything else falls by the way side.

When I work, I have a tendency to focus on one thing at a time and I have a great ability to shut out everything else. Unfortunately, that everything else may be my kids, dinnertime, a phone call I've received (no more multi-tasking while I'm on the phone), etc. I think that achieving better balance means not wearing my blinders except when really appropriate (i.e. conference calls - again, no more multi-tasking on these either) and changing the focus of my attention for some of those interruptions. It may result in some of my work taking longer in some cases, but I think I will feel better about the results.

What does balance mean to you?

On a different but related note, I think multi-tasking is overrated. It seems to me that it results in doing neither task very well. Have you tried multi-tasking while on the phone (other than dishes)? I don't recommend it. To you whom I have spoken with while multi-tasking, I am very sorry. I am trying to change. :)


I would love to hear what balance means to you and any thoughts you have on multi-tasking.

:)

3 comments:

J. said...

Great post. Your mission statement (novel) is awesome, and as for the multi-tasking, does that mean no more phone calls in the bathroom for you?

Melissa said...

You absolutely must read The Myth of Multitasking (How "Doing it All" Gets Nothing Done) by Dave Crenshaw!! It's a little book you can read in about an hour, nonfiction written like fiction so it's the easiest nonfiction you'll ever read, and it WILL change your life!!! Now more than ever I notice just how little I get done when I attempt "multi-tasking"

Beverly Jensen said...

To me, at this time in my life, balance means living for the moment - not some supposedly ideal future when things will not be so crazy. I am getting better at living my life in balance, but only because I have experienced unbalance for so long do I appreciate being balanced.