CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 25, 2007

My Persistent Son

Yesterday was like any ordinary day until about 3:30pm when I heard a series of thumps... the kind you hear when something heavy is rolling down the stairs. Yes, that would be my son.

After he landed (thankfully there is a landing half-way so he didn't tumble down the entire flight of stairs), I ran up to him and found blood oozing out of his mouth. I have to say that while this might normally cause me to be really concerned, I couldn't help but notice it was nothing like the gushing I witnessed when he hit his mouth causing his teeth to go all the way through his lip (resulting in six very traumatic stitches at the hospital - a great end to his worst day ever). Because I was quickly able to assess the seriousness of the situation by the amount of blood, I wasn't overly concerned... yet.

I blotted his lip and got the blood to stop. It was an unfortunate laceration on the inside of his lip, but nothing serious.

Apparently, he did not agree.

He kept his mouth open for OVER 5 HOURS! It was crazy! How could he keep it open for that long!? My mouth gets tired of being open when I sit in the dentist chair for an hour - but he did it for more than 5 hours! Talk about persistent.

Justis has shown this tendency towards persistence before - like the time he SCREAMED for 1 hour, in the foyer of our church building because I wouldn't let him down (my rule is - if he has to be taken out, he doesn't get to get down and walk or run around). I know it can be a good trait and maybe I need to find a better channel for him to exercise it, but 5 hours! Yikes.

The end result of all this was that because he would not close his mouth (he didn't eat or drink anything for the entire evening after his accident) and would not talk to us, we became increasingly concerned and ended up taking him to the Emergency Room to see if maybe he had fractured his jaw or had a concussion (again, he didn't talk to us for five hours which is also very uncharacteristic). Thankfully, he had neither so no permanent damage done. Unfortunately, we didn't get home until 1am in the morning.

Persistence is good, but sometimes, it's better to give in. :)

:)

4 comments:

Angel Brockbank said...

Oh dear. Now don't take offense to this, but since your first child is well... perfect. I find it ironic that you named your second child Justis (Justice) because for every other parent in the world, this is our justice, that you are blessed with Justis, a persistant child :) He's normal :) And we are all so grateful that you get to experience parenthood and all the fun little qwerks! Sure love you!!!

Angel Brockbank said...

AND I'm grateful that you have health insurance, because it seems like for him it has paid off :) And I don't blame you for taking him to the doctor (urgent care clinic is always cheaper than ER though if they are open) because 5 hours is a very long time to have your mouth in an unusual way. Pretty soon they'll know him by name at the ER :)

autumn said...

Wow! So your son and my daughter should not become friends. She too is the most persistent person I have ever met. If we got them together, that would be trouble with a capital T.

I am glad you survived the night. I would've done the exact same thing.

J. said...

Um, guess who Justis takes after? (hint: it's not Mom)