CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 21, 2008

Friday Favorites


In honor of Easter, my Friday Favorites today is a favorite Easter treat that is a tradition in Jason's family. It is called: Moose Turds. I know, funny and a bit disturbing, but it got it's name from it's shape and color. These are one of my all time favorite treats. Here's the recipe:

Moose Turds

Melt together in double broiler or very carefully in the microwave until smooth:
1 large package of chocolate chips (at least 12 oz)
2 Tbsp. shortening

Filling:
2 c. powdered sugar
2 1/2 c. crushed graham crackers (should be crushed to pretty fine - you don't want many chunks - the best way to do this is throw them in a blender)
1 c. peanut butter
1 c. flaked coconut
1 c. melted butter

Mix the filling together well. Shape into balls (this is where the moose turd shape comes in) or ovals. Drop in chocolate and roll until covered. Put on waxed paper until chocolate sets.

These are soooo yummy. :) This year, I will be substituting the chocolate chip mixture with my Dove Chocolate. I am quite excited about this.

One note on the process: I have found that dipping the balls in the chocolate can be difficult. Many times I end up putting the chocolate in a bag and drizzling it very generously over the balls/turds. I would recommend giving the whole dipping/rolling process a try and if it gets too frustrating, resort to the drizzling. I am sure it is a "user error" on my part. :)

Bon appetite. :)

Let me know how they work out for you if you try them. I will be making them sometime this weekend. Jason's mom (who is the most awesome mom and mother-in-law in the entire world) just brought us some Easter treats by, including the Moose Turds. The picture is the turds she made for us. Jason is gone with the YM camping... I'm not guaranteeing there will be any for him when he gets back. :)

:)

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

I will agree whole-heartedly that this is definetely a FAVORITE! IT just isn't Easter for Jeremy without his turds (I know, it sounds really wierd to say that) and I have gotten quite fond of them myself.

Jeff and aimie said...

I just wish i was close enough t have mom make them for me. they just dont taste the same when i make them!!! But You both better enjoy them for me!!! Miss you both!!

Esther Ogden said...

Yum, Andi! I am just now realizing that we forgot to make your Dove chocolate truffles! Bummer...=)

Melissa said...

I am now a fan of moose turds (thanks Andi!) My favorite Easter treat has always been the Reese's eggs and these are almost like them, just MUCH better! :)
And- I updated my blog- just for you ;)

Annette Lyon said...

Holy yum. I'm going to have to try this.